Learn about the ancient art of henna and how you can create a simple yet elegant design on yourself or a friend!
In this workshop, we will:
- understand the who/what/where of henna body art
- look at and dissect the elements of design in an intricate henna pattern
- practice drawing drills and creating your own designs using the elements presented
- use henna cones to apply the henna on yourself or others in class
- observe demonstrations of different techniques for application
The following supplies are included:
- printouts of simple designs from different parts of the world to draw inspiration from
- sugar sealant to keep henna from flaking off
- henna cones for use in the workshop plus 1 cone to take home with you
You can bring:
- clean skin with no lotion or oils
You will go home with:
- a self-applied medium sized henna design
- basic understanding of how henna works, its origins, its chemistry as a plant and its place within different cultures in the world, including the U.S.
- a cone of henna to practice with at home
Evelyn Salguero is a working Henna artist based in Santa Cruz Ca. Her multicultural upbringing brought her to discover henna at the young age of 15. As part of her practice she is dedicated to educating not just on the application and the decorative elements of henna but also the botanical, cultural and historical details as well. She believes that henna has the power to heal both the receiver and giver through acts of self care, bonding with others and by way of meditation.