In this express Level 2 workshop you will build upon your knowledge and practice of block printing by learning how to hand print in multiple colors. Learn the basics of reduction linoprinting and registration of your block, then make your own breathtaking limited edition of multi-colored prints! You are sure to enjoy this form of creative self care.
In this workshop, we will:
- transfer a multi-color drawing onto a "Softcut" linoleum-like block
- safely carve out negative space in phases based on color
- prepare a basic system for registration
- mix and roll ink onto your printing block
- hand pull 5 limited edition 8x10" prints registered and pressed by hand from your relief blocks
The following supplies are included:
- Speedball linoleum cutting tools
- Speedball soft rolling brayers
- water soluble printmaking ink in multiple colors
- Softcut rubber carving block, 4x6" (its hardness is like linoleum but is soft to carve)
- 5 sheets of Strathmore printmaking paper in lightweight and heavyweight thickness (*feel free to bring your own color/type of paper if you want to make more)
- pencils, tracing paper, Sharpie pens
You can bring:
- your own drawing or design in three colors (one of which being white). As this is an express workshop, please keep your design simple so we get through all stages of reduction printing.
- an apron or clothes you don't mind getting water-soluble ink on
- short sleeves or sleeves that you can roll up
You will go home with:
- 5 custom limited edition hand printed 8x10" works of art made by you!
- the therapeutic effects of hands-on creativity!
All attendees will be entered into a raffle to win a Speedball Printmaking Starter Kit valued at $30!
In this express workshop, we will be using softcut brand carving blocks. It is not linoleum, but it is also not rubber. In the past we used 'Soft-Kut' which is like a rubbery eraser material but has a more powdery surface. We will not be using linoleum as the time constraints would prevent us from completing all stages of reduction printmaking. Since your block will be carved away over the course of the multi-color printing, your limited edition set of prints will not be reproducible after the course.
Feel free to email me if you want to ask about the image or project you have in mind, and I can brainstorm with you before our workshop!
Joan Pranata Bogart is an illustrator and block printmaker who draws inspiration from nature, especially botanicals and wildlife. She has drawn for almost all of La Tourangelle's gourmet oil labels. It was after working at a tech company for 11 years that she switched gears to practice more art. She grew increasingly addicted to relief printmaking, mostly carving from linoleum and soft rubber surfaces as printing blocks, and finding a peaceful place for creativity and focus to intersect. Her recent prints resemble Indonesian Batik in design and form. She is thrilled to be a part of the Santa Cruz art community with access to nature and creativity. Joan has a BA in Art Practice from University of California, Berkeley and practices printmaking in her backyard art studio in Santa Cruz where she lives with her husband and three young kids.